How do you create situation awareness—Fresh perspectives with Mica Endsley
I had the privilege of sitting down with Mica Endsley —author of Designing for Situation Awareness: An Approach to User-Centered Design. Mica is the president of SA Technologies. Previously she was the Chief Scientist for U.S. Air Force.
Mica shares with us lessons learned from her book—Designing for Situation Awareness. I asked her nine (9) questions to solicit her thoughts on situation awareness, technology, and mental models.
1. Can you give us an overview of your book as well as where situation came from?
2. How does planning, plans, and situation awareness work together?
3. How do we overcome the challenges of data overload and overly complex technology?
4. What is the difference between linear and nonlinear environment?
5. What is the right way to design technology?
6. What are the three levels of situation awareness?
7. How can we change mental models?
8. What is the difference between goal and data driven processing?
9. What challenges do organizations run into with situation awareness?